Cantonese Roast Chicken Stuffed with Rice
2 cm, grated
Dark Soy Sauce
Five Spice Powder
Shao Xing Wine
rehydrated and sliced
Reserved Mushroom Water
1 cm, sliced
washed and chopped
Shao Xing Wine
Dark Soy Sauce
Chicken Stock Powder
How to cook
Marinate the chicken
- Combine hoisin sauce, dark soy sauce, honey, Shao Xing wine, five spice powder, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper for the chicken marinate in a zip lock bag.
- Place the chicken inside the bag and thoroughly coat it.
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
Prepare the chicken baste
- Combine the hoisin sauce, five spice powder, honey and cooking oil then set it aside.
Prepare the rice
- In a pan with 2 tablespoon of oil over medium heat, fry the lup cheong until lightly brown on both sides (about 1 minute).
- Add in the ginger and garlic, then fry for 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Deglaze the pan with Shao Xing wine and add in the remaining rice seasonings - kicap manis, dark soy sauce, chicken stock powder, salt and pepper.
- Add in the rice, mushroom and dried prawn - keep stirring for 45 seconds to ensure each grain is coated and does not sticking to the bottom.
- Transfer the rice mixture to your rice cooker, add water and cook as per rice cooker instructions.
- Once the rice is cooked, fluff up the cooked rice and gently mix in the fried shallots and sesame oil.
- Remove 2 cups of rice and place it on a plate to cool.
- Place the marinated chicken onto a tray with a wire rack and roast in the oven for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove chicken from the oven and stuff the cavity with the cooled rice.
- Using a brush, brush the chicken baste evenly on the chicken then roast the stuffed chicken for another 15 to 20 minutes (until the thickest part of the chicken breast registers 70°C).
- Remove from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve the chicken with a side of the extra rice and garnish with chilli, coriander and more fried shallots (optional).
Tried this recipe? Rate it!
You may also like
Glutinous Rice Balls ‘Tang Yuan’ with Black Sesame Paste
Golden Chef South African Baby Abalone with Korean Rice Cake
One-Pot Hainanese Chicken Rice
Ginger-Scented Egg Custard with Grouper
Salted Egg Prawns
Stir-Fried Spring Onion Ginger Fish with Fragrant Sesame Oil
Braised South African Baby Abalone with Stuffed Onion
Abalone & Seafood Pao Fan
Healthy Yu Sheng
Golden Chef Auspicious Fortune Pot Chicken Stew
One-Pot-Meal Recipe: Chestnut Chicken Rice
Eight treasure rice
Braised Longevity Ee Fu Noodles in Chicken Broth
Cow with tiger head bento
Rice Cooker Laksa Fried Rice4.0 (2)
Crispy Noodles with Silky Seafood Sauce
CNY Royal Umbrella Rice YuSheng
Braised Australian Baby Abalone in Red Yeast Sauce
Ah Ma’s Achar
Baked Soy Bean Chicken
Fragrant Rose Wine Chicken
Ah Ma’s Chicken Rice
Crispy Chicken with Auspicious Mandarin Orange & Ginger Scallion Sauce