Glutinous Rice Balls ‘Tang Yuan’ with Black Sesame Paste
Gathering more reviews
·Rate this recipe
Glutinous Rice Flour
Red Food Colouring
Black Sesame Powder
(thickly sliced or bruised)
Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar)
How to cook
For Basic Tang Yuan
- Add water a little at a time to the flour to make a pliable dough that is not too wet. The tension should feel like the bottom of your ear lobe.
- Roll into balls of about 1″ in diameter. (Optional: Separate a portion of the dough, add the food colouring, knead and roll into balls.)
- Cover with a wet towel while not being used to prevent it from drying out.
- Prepare a large, preferably wide bowl or pot and fill with iced water or water at room temperature.
- Boil at least 3″ of water in a pot. Add each ball into the boiling water.
- Once a ball floats, scoop it out and transfer to the iced water to stop it from cooking and prevent sticking.
- Serve ‘tang yuan’ balls in a bowl of ginger syrup.
For Black Sesame Tang Yuan
- Mix black sesame powder with clarified butter and gula melaka. Microwave for 30 seconds if the butter is not soft enough.
- Make the tang yuan dough using the Basic Tang Yuan recipe (above).
- Flatten a ball of dough into a circular shape. Spoon 1-2 teaspoons of stuffing and carefully wrap the dough around it.
- Cook and serve the ‘tang yuan’ balls in a bowl of ginger syrup.
Prepare the ginger syrup
- Boil water in a pot.
- Add ginger, pandan leaves and rock sugar (adjust according to taste).
- Boil for about 5 minutes. Remove the ginger and pandan leaves.
Tried this recipe? Rate it!
You may also like
Chinese Sausage & Mushroom Rice
Truffle Infused Baby Abalone Claypot Rice4.3 (3)
Ondeh Ondeh Gula Melaka
Sweet Glutinous Rice Balls
Cantonese Roast Chicken Stuffed with Rice
Thai Pork Ball Porridge
Black Black Ee Mian
Vegetable Spring Rolls
Rose-Flavoured Glutinous Rice Balls
Baked Mochi Cake (Nian Gao)
Dumpling Fried Rice
Braised chicken wings with ginger and sesame oil
Rice Cooker “Claypot” Rice
Black Forest 'Cake'
Rice Cooker Laksa Fried Rice4.3 (3)
Laksa Baked Rice
Thai Mango Sticky Rice
Sugar-Free Tang Yuan
Mala Black Fungus
CNY Royal Umbrella Rice YuSheng