Glutinous Rice Balls ‘Tang Yuan’ with Black Sesame Paste
Glutinous Rice Flour
Red Food Colouring
Black Sesame Powder
Gula Melaka (Palm Sugar)
(thickly sliced or bruised)
Pandan Leaves (knotted)
How to cook
For Basic Tang Yuan
- Add water a little at a time to the flour to make a pliable dough that is not too wet. The tension should feel like the bottom of your ear lobe.
- Roll into balls of about 1″ in diameter. (Optional: Separate a portion of the dough, add the food colouring, knead and roll into balls.)
- Cover with a wet towel while not being used to prevent it from drying out.
- Prepare a large, preferably wide bowl or pot and fill with iced water or water at room temperature.
- Boil at least 3″ of water in a pot. Add each ball into the boiling water.
- Once a ball floats, scoop it out and transfer to the iced water to stop it from cooking and prevent sticking.
- Serve ‘tang yuan’ balls in a bowl of ginger syrup.
For Black Sesame Tang Yuan
- Mix black sesame powder with clarified butter and gula melaka. Microwave for 30 seconds if the butter is not soft enough.
- Make the tang yuan dough using the Basic Tang Yuan recipe (above).
- Flatten a ball of dough into a circular shape. Spoon 1-2 teaspoons of stuffing and carefully wrap the dough around it.
- Cook and serve the ‘tang yuan’ balls in a bowl of ginger syrup.
Prepare the ginger syrup
- Boil 4 cups of water in a pot.
- Add ginger, pandan leaves and rock sugar (adjust according to taste).
- Boil for about 5 minutes. Remove the ginger and pandan leaves.
You may also like
Sweet Glutinous Rice Balls
Mala Black Fungus
Ah Ma’s Chicken Rice
Durian Sticky Rice
Truffle Infused Baby Abalone Claypot Rice
Rice Cooker Laksa Fried Rice
Sugar-Free Tang Yuan
Prawn Rice Rolls
Dumpling Fried Rice
Braised South African Baby Abalone with Stuffed Onion
Thai Mango Sticky Rice
One-Pot Hainanese Chicken Rice
Cantonese Roast Chicken Stuffed with Rice
Wok-Fried Tangy Prawns with Sesame Soy Dressing
Crispy Chicken with Auspicious Mandarin Orange & Ginger Scallion Sauce
One-Pot-Meal Recipe: Chestnut Chicken Rice
Australian Premium Wild Abalone With Pomfret
Thai Pork Ball Porridge
Golden Chef South African Baby Abalone with Korean Rice Cake
Golden Chef Australian Premium Wild Abalone with 4 Treasures
Grilled Pound Cake French Toast with Smoked Maple Syrup
Treasure Sea Cucumber with Vegetables in Plum Sauce
Abundant Pan-fried Grouper with Oyster Sauce
Mango Sago with Pomelo