One-Pot Hainanese Chicken Rice
skin-on with bones removed
Rendered Chicken Fat
or vegetable oil
White Jasmine Rice
|Spring Onion Oil|
How to cook
- Rub the skin-on chicken with the salt and set aside.
- In a pan or pot with a lid, heat up the chicken fat or oil.
- Add the ginger, garlic, and shallot. Cook, stirring, until fragrant.
- Stir in the rice and fry gently until glossy.
- Add chicken stock, then place the chicken, skin-side up, in the pan. Add the spring onions on top.
- Bring to boil over medium-high heat and when it starts to simmer, cover and turn the heat down to low. Cook for 17 mins. Turn off the heat and leave it to rest for 10 mins.
- While the rice is cooking, make the spring onion oil: place the spring onion in a deep heat-proof bowl and set aside.
- In a small pot, heat oil over medium heat. Remove the pot from the stove and very carefully pour over the green onions – they will sizzle and bubble up.
- Stir in some salt to taste.
- When the 10 min rest time is up, remove and discard the spring onions.
- Remove the chicken and slice evenly.
- Fluff up the rice and serve with chicken, thinly sliced cucumbers and spring onion oil. Serve immediately!
You may also like
Ah Ma’s Chicken Rice
Teriyaki Chicken Rice (Inspired by the Changi Airport)
One Pot: Penang Prawn & Pineapple Curry
Chicken Karaage with Rice
Chicken Fried Rice with XO Sauce
Fragrant Bitter Gourd Chicken
Pineapple Fried Rice
Chicken Brown Rice
Dumpling Fried Rice
Chicken Capsicum Rice Bowl
Delectable Fish Wing In Sour Chicken Broth
Truffle Infused Baby Abalone Claypot Rice
Crispy Chicken with Auspicious Mandarin Orange & Ginger Scallion Sauce
Cantonese Roast Chicken Stuffed with Rice
Rice Cooker “Claypot” Rice
One Pot: Chicken Chow Mein
Rice-Cooker Salt Baked Chicken
Thai Pineapple Fried Rice
Golden Chef South African Baby Abalone with Korean Rice Cake
Chanko Nabe (Sumo Hot Pot)
One-Pot-Meal Recipe: Chestnut Chicken Rice
Braised Longevity Ee Fu Noodles in Chicken Broth