Pulled Beef Rendang with Local Veggies Slaw
cut into 2-3 cm chunks
Kaffir Lime Leaves
Fresh Coconut Milk
diluted with water
2-3 cm each and peeled
How to cook
Prepare spices (rempah)
- Toast cumin, fennel and coriander seeds with star anise, cloves and cinnamon in a dry frying pan over medium heat until fragrant.
- Place toasted spices in a food processor together with onions, garlic, ginger, all the chillies, a knob of galangal, candlenuts, and 3 of the lemongrass stalks.
- Blend until fine paste forms. Add a dash of water if the paste is too thick, but not as fine. Set aside.
- Drain excess water from the beef and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place on a tray and sprinkle liberally with salt to tenderize the beef and help it absorb the flavours.
- Set aside until the “rempah” is ready.
- Preheat the oven to 160ºC.
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, add enough vegetable oil to cover the base of the pot.
- Once the oil is hot, add the rempah and saute until it has dried up, or when the oil starts to separate from the paste.
- This takes 15–20 mins on medium to low heat.
- Add the remaining lemongrass stalk and galangal, as well as the turmeric and lime leaves. Saute for another 5 mins.
- Add beef and stir to coat with the “rempah” before pouring in the coconut milk.
- Stir once more, cover the pot, then place in the oven and cook for 2 hrs.
- Stir the rendang after an hour. Scrape the bottom of the pot to ensure nothing sticks, then cover the pot to finish the cooking.
- Remove the rendang from the oven.
- Add the tamarind juice and season with salt to taste.
- Use two forks to shred the meat into pulled pieces.
- Serve as burgers with brioche bread and local veggie slaw.
Tried this recipe? Rate it!
You may also like
Easy & Healthy Tiger Roar Pen Cai
Chicken and Ham Roulade with Plum Sauce
Roast Beef Sliders4.0 (1)
Korean Army Stew, Christmas Edition
Braised Herbal Chicken with Huiji Waist Tonic
Wok-fried Mee Sua with Tiger Prawns
Beef Fried Rice
Nasi Kerabu with Ayam Percik
One-Pan Pasta with Canned Tomatoes5.0 (1)
Indian Style Mee Siam with Fresh Prawns
8 Treasure Seafood Platter
Spaghetti with Salmon and Pesto Genovese
Scrambled Eggs with Crispy Basil Chicken
Xi’an Spiced Chicken with Fragrant Rice
Braised chicken wings with ginger and sesame oil
Iga Penyet (Fried Beef Ribs)
Stir-Fry Basil Pork with Rice & Egg4.0 (1)
Chicken Rendang with Potatoes
Steak with a Peppery Mushroom sauce
Roti Jala with Pengat Durian
Braised abalone with scallops, mushrooms and broccoli
Chicken Karaage with Rice